Friday, November 14, 2014

A conversation

And I said, "Yes, I'd love to come dirt biking with you tonight."

And he said, "I'll pick you up at 6."

And I went home to my roommates and remembered there was a ward party and my ex-boyfriend would be there and what if I kind of wanted to see him?

And so I said, "I'm sorry, I can't actually come dirt biking with you tonight." Even though he looked so handsome in his brown and gray jacket propped on the end of his open tailgate, KTM in tow.

And to me he said, "No worries another time." But to his friends he said, "What kind of girl would rather go to a ward party than go dirt biking tonight!?" And to him they said, "She's not interested dude. Let it go."

But later, after I remembered ex-boyfriend really was not so great, I said to him, "I'm not busy tonight. Shall we hang out?"

And to his friends he freaked. And they said you're taking too long, hurry up and call her back.

And to them I was polite and to him I was flirty. And after the Sonic and the movie I said I needed to go home. But in the truck somehow I found myself saying, "Have you ever gotten the leftover donuts from Krispy Kreme?"

And we went. We got donuts. We found a park. He chased me. I teased him. He told me about a fortune in a cookie he'd eaten earlier.

And it said, "Beautiful things await you."

Which is why my friends told me to call you he said. Smiling.

And I said, "Race ya to the pond."

And we went home. But got in front of my apartment and I couldn't bring myself to get out.

And so I said, "Let's go see the wall you're building." And in my head said, I can't stop hanging out with you. And plus I have something I've got to tell you.

And he said, "Here it is. Almost done."

And I said, "I'm impressed. Let's sit on it."

And he said, "Are you cold?" We could sit closer.

And I said, "No, I'm fine. Talk talk talk. Words words words. Smile talk laugh words."

And I said, "I read the coolest thing in the scriptures today." I usually don't share such things with boys, but I feel so confident and comfortable with you.

And he didn't say. He just smiled and listened, and he looked happy.

And I said, "I need to tell you something. You know how I got my wisdom teeth out?" Ner. vous.

And he said, "Yeah."

And I said, "My mission papers are in. I'm going on a mission."

Oh no! Stay cool. Support her. Tell her that's good. "What? That's rad! That's really cool!"

And I cried, "That is not cool!"

what?

"What? Why?" hope...

And out loud I said, "Because we're bonding!" And in my head I said, "You're handsome and fun and righteous and polite and clever and kind and funny and wise. Everything a mission can't exactly offer me!"

And to himself he squealed, like Rudolph in the old claymation film, "She thinks we're bonding!!!"

. . . .
. . . . 
And my roommates said, "Did you tell him?"

And I said, "Yes, I told him. But I like him so much! What am I going to do?!"

No comments:

Post a Comment