Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The Good News

It usually happened that after a night like that, I would wake up with a jolt, laughing at how foolish either of us had been and squirming because it had probably been uncomfortable. Talking with boys about the status of our relationship was never pleasant, primarily because it always ended with me trying, without success, to ensure them there was a reason it wasn't going to work and also because it usually meant a broken heart or a lost friendship or wasted time.

Not this morning though. I woke up and my head stayed on my pillow. My thoughts caught up with my consciousness and my memory arrived shortly thereafter. I smiled to myself and giggled a little, then laid for awhile and remembered what happened and what it meant. Then I rolled over to see Elise getting out of bed to get ready for work.

"Hey Piss." She pulled her pants up and started busying herself with her belt while I got out from under my green monkey comforter and sat on the edge of the bed, my feet dangling.

"Hey Lise."

She looked at me. "How was it?" She stepped in front of the closet to find a shirt, and I tucked my legs up on the bed to sit cross-legged.

"Lise. I'm dating Billy Hiatt."

She didn't jolt either. She turned her head to look at me, but she stayed facing the closet. "Oh really? How did that happen?"

That was a good question. It certainly had never happened that easily before. I hopped off the bed and started telling her about how different it was, how logical he made it seem and how I didn't even hesitate. I told her he got a ticket on the way back but that he was still happy and calm and seemed to have thought about it a great deal. I told her that I felt fine about it and I reminded her that I was getting a mission call in two weeks. And I told her again that I was dating Billy Hiatt.

She laughed and walked out to the kitchen to put her standard bowl of oatmeal in the microwave. "I know Kris! What are you gonna do?"

Again, a good question. But I had no idea. The good news was, I was dating Billy Hiatt.




2 comments:

  1. Somehow I did not know that enter ebullience changed to enter e-billy-ence. very clever! I remember this and it seems so funny now that you even tried to not date billy hiatt and go on a mission? weird huh? you were just always meant to marry billy, and its a good thing you did! because he is so dear to you haha. its funny how these things happen. but it always works out how its supposed to :) this is a good memory. good job piss! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete